Monday, February 22, 2010

 

I Never Dreamed...

That I would be on London television!

Last Thursday in the morning, I got a call from a senior reporter from the New York Times. He wanted to know what I thought about Tiger Woods giving a "pseudo-press conference." He was especially interested in whether or not I thought it was a wise thing to do and how I felt Tiger would succeed (or fail) image-wise. Over the course of 30 minutes or so, I gave him all my thoughts on the matter...knowing that these things rarely become a reality.

On Friday morning, I read the article and I was the only one who was directly quoted since I had the extra credibility of being a "branding expert." That started the day off with a flurry of phone calls and emails. The net result was I supposed to do a PBS News Hour on the same topic that night. I was to be notified if that would happen at noon. Meanwhile, a crew from FOX came to the office and taped me for a brief appearance on WFOX-TV (Channel 5 between 5 and 7 on their news program) and on WWOR-TV (Channel 9) which both aired on Friday.

At noon, expecting to hear from PBS in Washington, I got a call from the BBC in London asking me if I would go into NYC and appear on satellite in their prime time programming! I would have to go into New York anyway if I was to do the PBS News Hour, but I was afraid the BBC may have wanted me at the same time! As I was talking to the PBS folks, I got the call from London that it was a "go." I started to tell PBS that I couldn't do their show when they told me I was going to be bumped to do another show in the near future about branding Olympic athletes! Great timing all the way around!

As my wife and I drove into the City to do the BBC taping at 3:30 (8:30 pm in Great Britain), I got another call from a national radio syndicated show called the Jim O'Bannon Show (formerly Larry King's show). It is heard on over 300 stations. So, after I did the BBC segment which lasted for almost three minutes (which is much longer than I anticipated), I went home to prepare for the ten o'clock radio show. Well, I didn't know that there would be only one other guest and that we would be on for the whole hour! To boot, we did an extra five-minute segment for the same network which aired on the next morning.

Some time in the future, I will tell you what it was like to do the satellite feed. It looks quite different on the "telly" than in real life. Anyway, the BBC folks were very complimentary after the show and my day ending with some very nice accolades.

Just another day...unlike all the rest. The interview can be seen at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sagTueNh9Ro

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?